17 October, 2007

Golden Octopus from the Deep


I painted this guy with acrylics on four canvas panels.

size: 60 x 160cm

I did it while I was at The Black Pearl for a week in August. Noi had gone to Bangkok for work and I was on my own. The time went by quickly. But I wanted this guy done.



The workers building Baan Mahasajahn were totally intrigued. I painted the water first. Lots of water with big wet brushes on a wet canvas. While it was still wet I painted the Golden Octopus. I had seen one just like this colour while snorkelling aroung coral in Candellight Bay. His patterned golden skin struck me with his beauty. It's now years later that I am able to capture it.



After I thought it was done, I phoned Noi in Bkk and told him about what i had doone. It had taken three days. He asked "Is it cute or scary?" It was the perfect critical question. I had the wrong answer. Even the workers kids thought it was cute. So I attaked it again. More black, lots darker, and splattered the whole thing with black then hosed it off and let the colours dribble down and run together. then asked a little girl, about four years old, if she still liked it. She didn't answer, just backed away behind her mums protective legs. I was happy with her responce. My painting was finished.